- 1993 - Bachelor of Science (Open University)
- 1993 - NEBOSH Certificate in Occupational Safety and Health
- 1994 - Technician member of the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health
- 1997 - Bachelor of Philosophy (Open University)
- 2008 - Director; Birchtree Consultants Ltd
- 2000 - Produced environmental sections for Concise International Chemical Assessment Documents (CICAD) for the World.Health Organization (WHO) on chlorinated naphthalenes, bromoethane, silver, manganese, chlorobenzenes, inorganic tin, brominated phenols, cobalt, organotins, cyanides, heptachlor, chromium(III), chromium(VI) and strontium.
- 1998-1999 - Produced chemical profiles and a categorisation matrix for chemical releases into the food chain via agricultural crops for the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food.
- 1992-2008 - Safety Adviser for the Centre for Ecology & Hydrology at Monks Wood Research Station. Advising staff and management on health and safety, updating the safety policy, monitoring chemicals and codes of practice, and advising on new legislation.
- 1989-1994 - Produced environmental toxicology sections for national hazard assessments on "existing chemicals" funded by Department of the Environment these include toluene, benzene, carbon tetrachloride, trichloroethylene, 1,1-dichloroethane, ethyl benzene, tetrachloroethylene, chloroform, 1,2-dichloroethane,xylenes, dichloromethane, pentachlorophenol, polychlorinated and polybrominated naphthalenes, phenol, naphthalene, cyclohexane, nitrobenzene and 1,4-dichlorobenzene.
- 1987 - Organised and participated in WHO Task Group and Final Review Board meetings.
- 1988-1989 - Assisted in the writing of a contract report for the Health & Safety Executive on the implementation of the Food and Environment Protection Act (FEPA).
- 1983-2001 - Assisted with the writing of Environmental Health Criteria Documents for WHO on mirex, campheclor, chlordecone, heptachlor, heptachlor epoxide, kelevan, chlordane, chlorothalonil, endosulfan, hexachlorobenzene, quintozene, tecnazene, tetradifon, lead, mercury, 2,4-D, DDT and its derivatives, tributyltin, polychlorinated biphenyls and terphenyls, 1,1,1-trichloroethane, diethylhexylphthalate, cadmium, linear alkylbenzene sulphonates, ethyl benzene, xylenes, aluminium, copper, zinc, fluorides and arsenic.
- 1983-1985 - Pigeon behaviour and hormonal cycles.
- 1978-1983 - Viruses and hormonal cycles in starlings.
- 1978-2008 - Centre for Ecology & Hydrology, Natural Environment Research Council
Publications and Reports
Scientific papers, book chapters and reports on chemical risk assessment including:
- 25 international chemical assessment documents for the World Health Organization
- 80 reports on the fate and effects of chemicals for government departments and international agencies